Formula 1 Bell helmets of the 2018 season.
The 2018 Formula 1 season was the 69th Formula 1 season. The "Formula 1", officially the "FIA Formula One World Championship", is the highest class in motorsport as determined by the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile. The season started on March 25, 2018, traditionally in Australia.
Lewis Hamilton became world champion again in his fifth world championship, bringing him on a level with Juan Manuel Fangio. His team, Mercedes, became world champions again with the constructors. Hamilton successfully managed to extend his world title two races before the end of the season during the Grand Prix of Mexico. In the next race, the 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix Formula 1, Mercedes became the constructors' champion.
2018 is the first season in which the halo is mandatory on the cars. The halo gives the driver better protection in the event of an accident and contact with loose parts from another car.
Pirelli is, as in 2017, the only tire supplier in the 2018 season. In 2018, two new dry weather tires will be added. In total there is a choice of 7 tires:
- The Hypersoft, recognizable by the pink stripe, is the tire with the softest composition
- The Ultrasoft with purple stripe
- The Supersoft with red stripe
- The Soft with yellow stripe
- The Medium with white stripe
- The Hard with blue stripe
- The Superhard with orange stripe with the hardest compound of all tires. This compound is a backup and Pirelli does not intend to use this compound unless the tires are much softer than expected
In addition to the dry weather tires, the two rain tires will continue to exist:
- The Intermediate with green stripe, to be used on a wet track. The tire has a light profile
- De Wet with light blue stripe, to be used during constant rain showers. The tire has a coarser profile